Are you facing problem to upgrade your Garmin map then this blog is for you. This blog will help you to get free Garmin map update. Topic covers in the blog post are:
- What is Garmin Map and where it is used?
- How to install Garmin map on windows and Mac system
- How to get free Garmin map update
- Common issues in updating Garmin map
- How to solve the issues
What is Garmin Map?
Gary Burrell and Min Kao have started the company in 1989 in Lenexa, Kansas, United States. Now it is an American multinational technology firm named as Garmin Ltd. It shortens name is Garmin and has headquarters in Olathe, Kansas. They are specialized in the production of GPS technology system for automotive, aviation, marine, outdoor and sports activity. They are also competing with Fitbit and Apple the developers of the activity tracker and smartwatch with the development of wearable gadgets. The company has developed the software known as Garmin Express which is used to download and install updated map and software on your devices. Garmin releases the updates for these maps many times in a year are known as Garmin Map. Their satellite navigation and GPS systems are used in Aeroplanes, ships, boats, vehicles etc.
How to Install free Garmin map update on Windows and Mac System
Installation on Windows:
- At first, you need to install Garmin USB driver software
- Install Garmin Communicator Plugin
- Check your browser that it detects the Garmin device or not
- Web browsers supported by Garmin Communicator Plugin are Internet Explorer 7 and up, Firefox, and Opera.
- The Garmin Communicator Plugin is not supported by Google Chrome.
Installation on Mac:
- Install the Garmin Communicator Plugin
- Make a test to check that your browser is communicating with Garmin device or not.
- Firefox and Safari are the two browsers which support Garmin Communicator Plugin
How to Update free Garmin map update?
If you are using a GPS device then it should have the latest map updates otherwise it is of no use. Even companies make it easier to update your GPS map but it is not as easy as looks. All updates are available on the internet. For Garmin update three software need to be download. The total size of the file is about 2 GB hence you may need to wait for an hour.
Please follow the below mention steps.
- You are required to create my Garmin account
- Just go to the official website click on create a new account
- Enter all required information
- Click on the box “Agree to the term of use and privacy statement”
- You can subscribe for further communication but it’s optional.
- You need to register your device
- Select the type of device for which you are registering
- Keep all recommended stuff with you (check product documentation)
- To complete the registration follow the instructions on the screen
- Now you can download map updates
- Connect your device with the computer and log on to your Garmin account
- The home screen shows two types of downloads. Recently purchased updates and free updates
- To get the free update click on Get Free Updates
- Click on download button and enter your product key
- When your screen shows updating device software click on Accept the License agreement
- Follow the instructions and select the download button
- Once you have downloaded the file run GarminMapUpdateX.X.exe for windows and GarminMapUpdateX.X.dmg for Mac system
- You need to select the device for updating
- Click on agreed to license terms and condition box
- Enter the product key and click continue
- When your device is ready for updating your screen shows two options. 1. Click on recommended map region and 2. Go to Advance option to choose the map region
- Click on options to keep or remove all previous data from your device. Choice is yours
- Select the option to install maps on your device only or on both device and computer
- Once installation completes click on continue and then click exit.
Now your device is updated and ready to use.
Common Issues for free Garmin map update
Sometimes you may find an error while installing Garmin Express on your Windows system. You may have encountered the error like Installation Failed or Installer not launch. Try the below-mentioned steps to resolve the issue.
- Check specific error
- Use your personal computer
- Restart your computer
- Check for system requirements
- Unblock the Installer
- Deactivate your anti-virus program
- End Microsoft Installer Processes
- Uninstall any previous version of Garmin Express from your system.
I’m sure by using above mention steps you can successfully free garmin map update on your device and system.